Monday, June 29, 2009

African Star Communications - Farah Fortune


So I recently attended the 1st Year Anniversary of one of the hottest PR Company’s in Johannesburg, African Star Communications. Established by a remarkable business woman and mother of the social scene, Farah Fortune is the lady behind this flourishing company. Farah is one of the people I look up to; she has achieved so much in such a short space of time, which is why I have chosen to interview her on my website. Even for a casual interview she looked stylish, wearing a grey high waist skirt and a white blouse. This is what went down...


Mika Stefano: What is African Star Communications?

Farah Fortune: African Star Communications is a boutique Corporate and Celebrity Public Relations and event management Agency


Mika Stefano: What did you do before you set up African Star Communications?

Farah Fortune: I was a publicist for Ster-Kinekor Distribution, then a shopping editor for Alchemy Publishing, the an Account Exec for Cutting Edge PR before I got sick of bosses!


Mika Stefano: Why did you pick the name, African Star Communications?

Farah Fortune: The company was originally suppose to be called Fortunate Communications... I know... I know... but then a phone shop in Durban had the same name, so African Star was my second choice but honestly it just came to me no direct thought, just God's intervention.


Mika Stefano: Why did you want to start your own business?

Farah Fortune: I wanted to be in control of my own destiny. I was tired of saying I wanted to do it. I knew there was no way to do what I loved unless I was doing it for me.
I have passion for what I do. Love what you do and do what you love! My favourite lyrics in a song.

Mika Stefano: What were some of the challenges, when you began?

Farah Fortune: Cash flow! I really wanted to start this business but couldn't get it going as I had no capital and no one believed in me enough to finance me. So I made the decision to just start up. I had R1000.00. I spent R589 on a cc and the rest on business cards. Within the first 3 weeks we had a job with AIG/Manchester United.


Mika Stefano: Do you still face these challenges?

Farah Fortune: No, now we are a year old, African Star Communications is now more established and more financially stable. Being able to employ two staff members’ full time and 3 freelancers when needed is a great achievement in this economy.


Mika Stefano: You have been up for a year, and you have already created a huge impact. Why do you think this is so?

Farah Fortune: Personal Relationships. Having close personal relationships with people in your field of business is essential, but also being able to adapt to any situation and conversation is of utmost importance. Also only surrounding yourself with good people who honestly have your best interests at heart is a wise move.


Mika Stefano: What have been some of the most memorable jobs you have worked on?

Farah Fortune: Planning Dudu Zuma's 27th birthday party. Planning the president's daughter's party was a phenomenal experience.WOW! Also the launch of The Original Penguin clothing store in Sandton when we hosted Clint Eastwood by pure accident was another great experience. African Romance for Miss World 2008 was a unique experience too!


Mika Stefano: People may assume you just plan events? What else do you do?

Farah Fortune: We also do publicity for celebrities, organising inter

views, appearances and crisis control if need be. A celebrity having a publicist gives them the more professional look, that's where we come in. We handle their exposure to the public. The same goes for a corporate company, making sure their company is featured in all the right publications for all the right reasons.

Mika Stefano: Who are some of your clients?

Farah Fortune: Former and current clients include, African Romance for Miss World 2008, Nando's Peri-Deli, Great Lengths Hair Extensions, The Original Penguin Clothing Store.


Mika Stefano: What is your vision for African Star Communications in the next 5 years?

Farah Fortune: To see the company grow from strength to strength and become a force to be reckoned with. I see us employing young driven men and woman, with passion for what they do.


Mika Stefano: You are both a successful business woman, fashionable socialite and loving mother, how do you juggle all these roles and still look gorgeous?

Farah Fortune: LOL! It's hard work. I love what I do and I have a great supportive structure of friends and a fantastic nanny. My friends help with my 4 year old daughter and so does her dad's family. I only go out when I have to and my friends help with the business too.


Mika Stefano: What advice could you give to young people who want to do what you do?

Farah Fortune: Follow your passion. Don't do anything for money, do it because you love it!
The money will come!


Mika Stefano: If you could do anything else, what would you do?

Farah Fortune: I would love to write for The New York Times; in the entertainment section.


Mika Stefano: So would I, Farah...lol... Perhaps we both run off to NY. If you had to plan a dinner party for 3 VIP guests, who would they be? Besides myself...

Farah Fortune: (laughing) My mother, Dr. Martin Luther King and Nelson Mandela


Mika Stefano: Who are some of the people you look up to?

Farah Fortune: My family, I love them very much, my grandmothers who have both passed away, memories of them remind me how to be a strong woman, my friend Avril Mama, her support for me is endless.


Mika Stefano: How can one find out more info on African Star Communications?
Farah Fortune: You can visit us online on www.africanstar.co.za from July



1 comment:

  1. i love both of you guys as a blogger and PR student you guys are my inspiration...
    lovely interview by the way.. mwachh

    ReplyDelete